AP photojournalism in focus with OPC Award winsApril 25, 2012
• Photographers David Guttenfelder and Pete Muller were honored with Overseas Press Club awards. Guttenfelder won the Feature Photography Award for his series of images of daily life in North Korea. He also won the OPC Olivier Rebbot Award for best photography in magazines for documenting Japan’s closed-off nuclear zone. Muller won the John Faber Award for photography for newspapers or news services for his images documenting the fight against rape in Congo: http://on.wsj.com/JzTzhN. A slideshow of Guttenfelder’s and Muller’s prize-winning photos is here: http://bit.ly/IEaADy.
• TIME magazine’s LightBox posted a profile of Guttenfelder tied to today’s OPC win. The feature examines his AP career and award-winning images from North Korea: http://ti.me/I4GMxJ.
• The OPC honors were also covered by Photo District News: http://bit.ly/IS567e.
• The 2012 China International Press Photo (CHIPP) contest recognized the work of several other AP photographers. Here is a full list of winners (http://bit.ly/HxoE1z) and a slideshow of their work (http://bit.ly/Im7IcM).
• Meanwhile, MSNBC.com’s PHOTOBlog highlighted several “quiet but fascinating photos” (as they called them in a tweet) by AP’s Vincent Yu of North Koreans paying tribute on the 80th anniversary of the nation’s army: http://on.msnbc.com/K3CirT.
• MSNBC’s PHOTOBlog also showcased AP’s report that 87,000 images of New York City and its municipal operations are being made available to the public online for the first time: http://on.msnbc.com/I9Dmff.
• And from Harvard University’s Nieman Reports: Award-winning AP photographer Anja Niedringhaus “has worked on the frontlines of many major conflicts over the past two decades and reflects on work from her new book ‘At War’”: http://hvrd.me/GFzjGY.
To schedule an interview with an AP journalist, please send a media request to the AP Media Relations team: http://www.ap.org/media-center/overview.
© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. Terms and conditions apply. See AP.org for details.