AP's news internships are paid and highly selective 12-week programs, meant to provide individually tailored training for students aspiring to be cross-format journalists.
Internships are open to U.S. and international students as well as recent graduates.
Applicants must be either:
- Current full-time students within two years of earning an undergraduate degree (juniors and seniors only) or
- Current full-time graduate students or
- Students who will graduate December 2016 or later
Global News General Assignment Internship
Our Global News General Assignment Internship program selects 17 interns to be assigned to an AP bureau under the supervision of a designated trainer. They cover breaking news and complete a final, multi-format enterprise project that may be featured in media outlets around the world.
In the U.S., interns may be assigned to bureaus in Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Miami, San Francisco, New York and Washington, D.C.
Internationally, interns may work in Amman, Athens, Bangkok, London, Mexico City, Prague, Rio de Janeiro, New Delhi and Tokyo.
Business, Entertainment and Sports Internship
The Business, Entertainment and Sports Internship program selects 3 interns to be assigned to an AP bureau under the supervision of a designated trainer. They cover news in business, entertainment or sports and complete a final, multi-format enterprise project that may be featured in media outlets around the world.
Business internship: London
Entertainment internship: Los Angeles
Sports internship: Atlanta
How to apply:
- Write a 300-word autobiographical essay on this topic: "The Associated Press seeks to recruit and retain a workforce that embodies a wide range of talents, experiences, achievements and journalistic skills. Please describe the qualities and accomplishments you would bring to the company as an intern."
- Provide a resume and cover letter (please include your projected graduation date).
- For Global News General Assignment Internships: Submit three to five examples of your video work (links to a website of your work are highly preferred).
For Business, Entertainment and Sports Internships: Submit five to seven examples of your text work, at least three in the specialty area you are applying for (links to a website of your work are highly preferred).
- Submit three to five examples of clips, photos and multimedia work (links to a website of your work are highly preferred).
- Include a reference letter from a previous internship or media related employer.
All application materials should be uploaded simultaneously, including the reference letter.
The internship period is closed.